Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Simple Kids Craft

Simple Kids Craft

       Here is the Kids Craft Tutorial I promised!  My kids love to craft as I am sure yours do as well.  They just love being big enough to do things on their own.  It is so fun to have them sit along side me and do their crafts...that's what holidays and crafting are about...making memories.  So here is a fun Halloween craft that your kids can do and is especially great for sick days!  First you will need: a Cross Stitch Hoop; a washable fabric marker, embroidery floss in Halloween colors or whatever colors they want for their pictures, and some muslin or other cheap fabric.



       Cut a large square of fabric that will be at least 2-3 inches bigger than your hoop all around.  Now let your little artist sketch out their Halloween picture.  The bigger the better, trust me on this one, they lost patience when there is too much detail. (My daughter's scarecrow is sad because her spider scared her :) ).  Once there picture is finished place into the cross stitch hoop ad make sure you pull all ends tight!


       Okay, now thread your needle with whatever color they want to start with.  I tried to show my daughter how to do a real cross stitch but it is a little too tricky to do so she decided to just do straight lines back and forth...so cute and worked great!  Make sure to tie a knot in the back when they are done with each color before starting a new one.  Once you are done, you will put them in the washing machine on gentle cycle so the marker washes off.  Don't stress when they fray :)  We are almost finished with them and then we are going to make them into little Halloween pillows that we can use each year!  I am going to put the date on them and their names before I sew them up.


       I will post a tutorial for the pillows when we are done with these :) Hope you enjoy crafting with your kids!

- Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment