Wednesday, February 15, 2012

New 3 Week Menu and Recipes

March 3 Week Menu and Recipes

       Hey everyone!  I know I am a little early in posting this but I just wanted to get it done early so you have it ready to go.  This time I haven't included a Grocery Shopping List but if you need one please leave a comment below and I can e-mail one to you :)  Here's some little tidbits of information for you to a question that I get asked most often.  "How do you stay so healthy and cook with butter and some of those heavy ingredients."  Here is my little secret...I love cooking because you can always change a recipe!  I use the mantra "Everything in moderation."  I think if you completely limit your body of something...fat, carbs, etc. then your body will go crazy.  I mean there are obvious things our bodies can do without but for the most part I think if you try to completely abolish one thing from your diet then sometimes it ends up having the opposite effect of what you desire.  This is just my belief and I know there are numerous out there.  For instance I already did a little shpill on butter.  I don't use margarine because it is hydrogenated.  Margarine and butter have the exact same fat and calorie content.  That doesn't mean I need a whole stick of butter every single time I cook though right?  If I am cooking, I usually cut my butter recipe in half.  You won't even miss it?  Now if you are baking, that's another story and can become a little bit trickier with substituting in other ingredients for moisture content but that's another post for another day :)  If a recipe calls for heavy whipping cream then I usually try half and half...again this is only with cooking.  Sometimes our experiments are going to fail...sometimes they will turn out amazing but you have to be willing to try!  I actually try not to use a whole lot of "fat free" items in our house other than milk.  My reasoning for this is that a lot of the stuff that they make "fat free" they add in other chemicals and such to do so.  Again, everything in moderation comes in to play here.  So when I am using full fat items I just cut down on them.  Now, not everyone probably uses this method and I am not saying that everyone should.  This is what works for me and my family.  I try to keep a lot of raw snacks around the house for the kids such as almonds, fruit, vegetables, walnuts...all these without sugar or added salt that way it is an easy snack for them to grab and healthy too!  My kids LOVE nuts!  I usually give my readers the recipes unchanged for the most part but if you would like me to add in my changes that I use to cut down the fat content to make them healthier let me know and I would be more than happy to put those in!  I hope you enjoy this next 3 week Menu Rotation!

- Kristin


No comments:

Post a Comment