Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Green Smoothie Recipe


       Hey everyone!  I am so excited to post this recipe!  It is so delicious and an easy way to sneak some vegetables into your kids (or your) diet!  I had been seeing these smoothies all around the blog world and finally decided to give it a try and you would be surprised at how ridiculously delicious these things are with no added sugar!  When my daughter first saw me making these she gave me the funniest look and was so grossed out.  I tried to explain to her that Popeye ate his spinach and look at how strong it made him and she had no idea what I was talking about...yes, I am getting old!  Needless to say, after it was finished she drank 2 glasses of this! We drink these all the time just for their added benefits and I am so glad I gave it a whirl. So here is the recipe I came up with, super simple and really I just eyeball it but for those of you that enjoy measurements (and usually I do)...this is for you!

Green Smoothie
- 1 C. Greek non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 C. pineapple (fresh or chunks)
- 1 C. frozen strawberries
- 1 banana
- 1/2 mango
- 1 T. wheat germ
- 1 T. flax seed
- 2 C. spinach (I leave stems on and everything, but I have an awesome blender that purees it really well, if not, you might want to take the stems off)
- Almond Milk (with the almond milk I just pour it until it's right near the top of all the other ingredients, no real measure here)

Directions:
Place all ingredients in blender and then puree!  Like I noted with my blender above, it really purees everything well so I don't worry about the texture with the wheat germ and flax seed too much.  If you are worried about those, you can cut down the amount or cut it out all together, either way, the health benefits are still all there!

       You HAVE to give this a try!  It will change your life...literally...there is some great stuff in there!  Come back tomorrow for a bunch of recipes and ideas on how to change up your lunch and breakfast routines...they are kid friendly and a great way to steer away from eating cereal everyday and adding in some daily doses of fiber!  I promise you won't be disappointed!  Enjoy!

- Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment