Saturday, October 8, 2011

Recipes for Week 3

      Recipes for Week 3!  Hey everyone, here are your recipes for week 3.  I will be posting a new recipe file, menu and grocery shopping list for our next rotation on Thursday!  If you are new or need a little refresher on how this works, check back here or here or go check out Helpful Hints for some more ideas, and as always feel free to e-mail me with any questions.  I have some awesome new fall favorites I can't wait to share with you for the next couple of weeks, including some fun Halloween ideas!  I love Sweet and Sour Meatballs for an easy recipe.  My kids actually don't mind these as surprising as that is.  I think they just like to eat them because they are round.  The meatballs I buy are Italian Seasoned but if you bought regular they are fantastic too!  Mine are basically precooked before they are frozen but I still like to give them about 3 hours to cook so that they are tender.  Serve these over mashed potatoes or have them on the side and they are great!
      I love mashed potatoes but we never make them unless it's fall or winter just because to me they are a comfort food.  I have a little something against potatoes from a box...I mainly think it's because I grew up on homemade mashed potatoes and my mom is seriously such an amazing mashed potato maker!  So I took her little secret of adding in sour cream and use that in this recipe which I love as a basic "smashed" potato recipe as my husband calls them.
      Okay, I seriously love these orange rolls.  Technically they are not a dessert but since my husband thinks anything sweet is classified as a dessert we usually end up having these as a dessert.  I love the sweetness of these and I like to make my rolls from scratch but if yeast scares you, these are still great with Rhodes Rolls found in the frozen section of your grocery store!  Try them out, you will love them!
      I loved my mom's cooking growing up.  She really was so good about always having something ready for us to sit around the dinner table together and eat as a family.  Those are always good memories for me.  This recipe is no exception...I love this recipe from my mom!  Don't be scared to add the nutmeg, it adds such a subtle hint of spice that enhances the rest of the flavors.  Do keep in mind that as you are simmering this, it takes a while to thicken but be patient and it will get there and will be totally worth it in the end.
       Yet again, another from my mom's recipes box.  This is actually a really easy version of taco soup.  I like this one a lot and to cut down on fat, we use ground turkey instead of lean ground beef but the choice is yours, they both are still great.  I also have a version with chicken that I will post for you later that is equally delicious but is basically a "white" sauce soup instead of "red."
      Just like it says in the notes, this is a yummy moist "cake-like" cornbread and I have never had a problem with it turning out dry or crumbly on me.  I like it best plain but you could make a little honey butter and spread some on individual servings if you like. this last time i actually melted some honey and butter together and drizzled it on and it was fabulous my girls still preferred it plain.
   Last but not least for this rotation is the Creamy Chicken Taquitos from here,,,she has some great recipes that are fun to try out!  I like this one because you can make a bunch ahead of time and freeze them just like the taquitos you buy in the freezer section at the store and then bake them up when you are ready and they taste just as delicious yet you know exactly what went into those instead of the alternative :) Don't forget to check back for the next 3 week rotation or sign up to subscribe to my newsletter and have it delivered right to your inbox! If you have any recipes you would like me to try out, email them to me or leave me a comment, I am always up for trying out new recipes! Enjoy!

- Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment