Saturday, September 24, 2011

Organization


I have had a lot of people ask me about some organization techniques, wanting some helpful hints on making and keeping an organized house. For those of you who do know me, I have my little quirks of organization, however I am no expert in this area. But here are some helpful hints that work for me. Just know that everyone is different. All situations are different and this is what works best for my family. There may be better ways or ideas that are efficient for your family and needs but this is what works best for me, so hopefully it will help you as well :)

#1: Lists!
- If you can't already tell, I am a big fan of lists! I like to have my weeks mapped out and my lists of "Things To Do" set to go at the beginning of the week so I know exactly what needs to be done around the house. This not only helps me to remember things since I am slowly losing brain cells the more kids I have, but it also helps me feel accomplished which in turn motivates me to get more things done!

#2: Tupperware!
- If you know me, then you know my obsession with tupperware. I would literally pack my whole house in tupperware and label it if I could. I love tupperware and how it makes everything feel clean and in its place. Tupperware is expensive to buy all at once so just build up little by little. Soon you will have a collection. Don't limit yourself to just boxes, there are food storage containers and bottles for cereal and such. It really makes such a difference on the appearance. If you look at my pantry above I like to have my boxes in order of height and all facing the way (okay maybe I AM a little OCD :) ). I bought red bins from Walmart to stick all those loose bags in that don't have a place. I also bought candy jars from Walmart to stick in cereal and other items and have little scoops in place to scoop them out. Regardless of how you do it, make sure everything has a place. I also have tupperware in the girls closets to place all their toys in on little shelves. That way all the Dora toys go in one and Ponies in another etc...

#3: Never leave dishes in the sink...
- Okay to be honest this is one of those tasks that is super hard to do but will result in a much better outcome for you. Whenever you eat breakfast, wash your dishes right after you are done. Same with lunch and dinner. Who likes to wake up in the morning to a sink FULL of crusted on dirty dishes and stinky wash cloths? Definitely not me! It makes the task at hand so much worse. But if you just finish right after then you are done! At our house we wash dishes by hand...yes, yes, I know we are crazy. I used to think so too but now that I have been doing it for so long, I honestly prefer it that way. I wash them and then stick them in the dishwasher to dry. That way there are still no dishes piling up in my sink. When my sink is empty the kitchen feels a lot cleaner. Don't stress, there are some days it is just impossible to get the dishes done. Just do what you can and what makes your family happy. Family is first :)

#4: Deep clean once a week!
- Okay here is what I do, but again this might now work for everybody. I choose one day out of the week and I completely deep clean my house on that day. This includes laundry, scrubbing toilets, wiping down baseboards, mirrors, sinks, sweeping and mopping floors, dusting etc...Everything that needs to be done is done on that day! The girls get to help do their chores and then play the day away while I finish all the cleaning. I involve them as much as I can with laundry and things like that but this is the day they know to go out and play or just have fun bonding as sisters time :) The reason I do this all in one day is that I have the rest of the week to relax and enjoy myself...and I am not doing laundry one day, toilets the next, floors the next etc...it makes life a lot easier on myself and I get to enjoy my family instead of feeling like I am constantly cleaning every single day!

#5: Pay attention, this is the most important...Don't compare yourself to others!
- Life is crazy. We are all different. We have different skills, different backgrounds and different ideas. Use your creativity to think of ideas that work for you! You have to remember that even though your neighbor next door seems to have the perfect life, I am sure her life is just as crazy as yours and she probably looks at you thinking you have it all together. We all get stressed. We all have different talents. The point is to share what you have and use your talents as your strengths! Some days are going to be too crazy to clean and so maybe for that week your Deep Clean will have to wait, you have to remember that it's okay.

Hopefully these tips helped you get some ideas for organizing and I will post more pictures and ideas soon. I have a bunch of fun pre-school ideas to help your toddlers have fun! Now go have fun with your family and get organizing on Monday!

-Kristin

3 comments:

  1. my only issue is, I feel like I have to deep clean EVERY day, I can't just do it once a week, my floors need to be mopped everyday, as well as the bathrooms completely cleaned, Its exhausting. keeping my house even remotely clean is a full time job and most of the time, I should be fired from it. :)Thats my one thing I just can't seem to figure out yet, and maybe I won't until my kids are old enough to actually learn to clean up after themselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that really your pantry? I think you and I would get along fantastically. Oh wait, we do! Your pantry looks like how I picture heaven to be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed Andrea...every house is different and every week is different...sometimes nothing falls into place, but your house looks great! Don't worry about it because you are being an awesome mom :)

    Ha ha yes that is my pantry Emily! I have a little obsessions when it comes to organizing and tupperware...guilty! Well at least we know Andres is in good hands because by himself, that boy is a lost cause for organization I am sure :)

    ReplyDelete