Saturday, September 3, 2011

Starting Tomorrow!

Just a side note really fast. This is the rice I always buy. It is a little more expensive than minute rice, but if you don't have a rice cooker and you make rice a lot, this is absolutely the BEST rice to buy. My sister introduced it to me and we will never buy anything else. You just add water and rice and microwave it and it comes out perfect every single time. My husband and I like to add a TINY bit of canola oil and salt to give it some flavor but this honestly is the yummiest rice. It is just found in the rice section.

Here is the updated shopping list that just has the items you will need so that way you don't have to look through all my additional items and it has just what you need for all the
recipes on the 3 week rotation menu...it may look longer because I decided to included all the spices
you need as well as I put special instructions in there for ingredients that may be hard to find. Plus for some reason google docs wouldn't let me put it into columns, so I apologize for 2 pages, but normally it would just be one! Remember to check your pantry, spices and fridge just in case you already have these items, there is no need to purchase more spices than you need :)

Okay everyone! Tomorrow is the big day, I know you guys are all excited ;) So if you are all starting tomorrow with me on this 3 week rotation there is one more trip you have to make...the Costco trip. I have to say, I am not a big fan of Walmart meat. In fact to say that I detest it and gag when I walk down the meat aisle is an understatement. When we were first married I didn't know any better and purchased my meat from there...I couldn't understand why EVERY single meal I made turned out horrible...until one day my sister introduced me to Costco meat and Macey meat...my life has never been the same. Trust me! Anways, you can go wherever you find it is the best deal for you, but for me I find that Costco can't be beat on quality and price for what I buy. So my Costco trips are very rare and when I go, I just go to purchase my meat, diapers and wipes. I try to abstain from everything else so I don't always spend so much money on stuff that my small family won't eat. Okay so here are the 3 things you need from Costco.

#1: A 4-pack of their pork roasts. They only come in a 4-pack and they are small roasts found in the fresh meat section. Cut off one and put it in your fridge for tomorrow and then stick the other 3 in your freezer until our next pork recipe comes up. These last us for so long!

#2: Jack's Salsa. As I said before, you can use fresh salsa and it will turn out great, but honestly this saves a HUGE step and you can't beat all the flavor it gives to your pork!

#3: A package of their frozen chicken tenders. I LOVE these! They are in the frozen/refrigerated food section of Costco. They are individually frozen so that when they are put in there they don't stick together. You definitely could always do the frozen chicken breasts because they are bigger and if you have big eaters, that is the way to go. But for my kids who are so little, the chicken tenders are definitely a perfect portion size for them. They are easy to defrost and cook and are super lean so it saves me all the hassle of always cutting off all the fat on anything else I would be buying. Definitely worth my moo la, but they are super cheap anyways :)

Okay, one last thing. I have had a lot of people ask me if I halve the recipe since I have a family that has tiny kids who don't eat a lot or if I make the full, what do I do with the rest? Here is what I do and find that this works great for my family. I almost always make the full recipe. Why? Because then whatever leftovers I have, I set aside a lunch portion for my husband to take to work the next day and then I freeze the rest in a container with the name, date, contents and how much is in there. For instance, the other day for breakfast I made homemade pancakes. This is obviously something I wouldn't send my husband for lunch but is something I can pull out on a crazy school morning and toast the pancakes to defrost them and they always turn out soft and delicious. So I stuck them in the freezer with this written on it: "Pancakes; September 1st, 2011; 6 pancakes." That way I know exactly what is in there and how much and which items to use first so they don't get old and yucky! I updated the grocery shopping list with items that didn't contain my personal items so that way you could just focus on recipe items and add your items in between. Let me know if you have any questions! Enjoy!

p.s. tomorrow we will start the pork at eight in the morning so that way it is done by four, right when we get home from church....if you have an early nine o clock church and want your pork done to eat by the time you get home, i suggest you start it tonight around eleven and then turn off your slow cooker at 7 so it stops cooking that way you just have to warm it up in your slow cooker when you get home...tomorrow i will post the recipe for the cilantro lime ranch dressing and the rice...see you then

- Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment