Monday, September 12, 2011

Recipe for Monday


Hi all! Here is your Monday recipe for Sloppy Joe's! Don't be afraid to try these. They are definitely tastier than the canned filling you buy at the store and they definitely leave you feeling satisfied.

I wanted to throw in there that just because your 3 week menu rotation has a certain meal on there for a certain day, don't feel stuck! If you decide that today you are not "feelin'" the Sloppy Joe's, then switch it for another day from your menu. That way you are still excited about cooking dinner tonight but you also have all the ingredients for all of your meals. This is not supposed to be something that disappoints you, rather that helps you feel prepared each day as you are getting ready to provide some meals for your family which can be a super stressful time of day if you don't have all the things you need and end up having to make a quick run to the grocery store with all of your kids just for a couple of items.

Another thing I have had quite a few people ask me is why do I use butter instead of margarine? Here are just my two cents and what I have learned but everybody has differing opinions so you are more than welcome to use whatever you would like. Butter and margarine have the same calorie and fat content per serving. Margarine is hydrogenized which means they are actually adding hydrogen into the margarine to supposedly make the texture lighter however it doesn't affect the calorie or fat content like most people suppose but you do sacrifice a lot of flavor in my opinion. From what I have learned, hydrogenized margarine is not great for your body. See I did pay attention in chemistry! Butter is quite a bit more expensive but I buy some each time I go grocery shopping and I buy A LOT when it is on sale and this way I have some whenever I need it. I always try to use less butter than what it calls for except when I am baking because you can lose moisture and change the texture of your recipe with baking. Did I lose you all at hydrogenized? Well Pay Attention because at the end of this week I am going to have a Give Away and I will explain the rules of the game on Thursday!

If you haven't already, take out your ground beef and start to thaw it, if you don't have time you can always defrost it in your microwave when you are ready to cook it. This recipe is pretty easy to follow but if you have any questions I am more than happy to walk you through any steps you need! Enjoy!

- Kristin

2 comments:

  1. Do you think this could be a slow cooker recipe, too? I have a sloppy joe recipe that I use all the time and it can also be cooked in the crock pot. Just wondering...

    Excited to try your recipe though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point! Starting in October I am going to have a huge slow-cooker marathon and will definitely add this to the list to try it out and see how well it works. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if you could throw it all in there and it turned out just as awesome...I will keep you updated :)

    ReplyDelete